4.07.2012

From drab to fab!

Some purists will tell you to never paint good wood. Turns out, I'm not a purist ;)

The hubs and I have been together for six years and counting. It is a second marriage for both of us and, as a result, we each had some residual "baggage" that we had to fit into the same house. As any woman will agree, her baggage is cute and his just needs to go. Out went a dilapidated couch, in came a pair of leather club chairs. Given away was the mundane kitchen settee to be replaced by the fabu trestle table.  Donated was the outdated oak dresser and...hmmmm, hold on just a sec...

The dresser was solid and well made - nothing to sneer at these days. After years of use it was, however, scratched up and well..just plain ugly. With five kids between us, we had a lot of bedrooms to fill and two daughters that just love purple (something to do with both being born in February, I'm sure). At some point, I had come across an online article about "found on Craigslist" items that were transformed beyond recognition with a little imagination and some good paint. Eyeballing the drab duckling of a dresser, I called out to the hubs, "Honeyyy, I have an idea!"

With the help of an orbital sander (a Mother's Day gift - hey, don't judge me), black and lavender paint, and a mini foam roller the unfortunately ugly dresser went from drab to fab in just a weekend. New draw pulls engraved with the numbers 1, 2 and 3 were discovered at The Barn (a must see if you are ever in the Denver area) and were the perfect finishing touch for the project. It now resides in my daughter's Old Hollywood styled bedroom.

Detail of draw pull
Linked to REDOUX  - check out this post as well as many other fabulous rejuvenations:


Now that April is here and with nicer weather my project focus drifts toward the garden. About the same time last year, we decided that we would put in some raised gardening beds and try our hand at homegrown veggies.

The project was simple enough - create a square box of boards while keeping the marriage intact. It was a close call, especially after I had the hubs move a post for the fifth time to be sure it was plumb and square. (He now admits that my crazy attention to detail paid off even though he was thinking seriously at the time of braining me with the tape measure.)



It wasn't long after the beds were complete that even the tomato plants were partying in their new digs. (We still aren't sure how they managed to have wine delivered. Those young plants - they grow so fast.)


As we know, April showers bring May flowers.  Here in Colorado that means being prepared for showers, sprinkles, slush, cats-and-dogs deluges, and the oh-so-not-a-surprise blizzard. With this type of weather in mind, I decided that I needed a pair of rain boots. Not just any rain boots, mind you, but CUTE rain boots. Imagine my sheer delight at finding these darling gems:

1.4.3 Girl Polka Dot Rain Boots


Thanks for checking in! Until the next blog...


 




1 comment:

  1. I soooo need to find some fun rain boots. We've been lacking the rain lately, but we know it's coming! I've been a bit jealous of yours so rather than covet, I should just go shopping ;)

    ReplyDelete