4.04.2013

Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Hello from the wilds of the remodeling jungle!

Egad, I had no idea what lay ahead of me last July when I so presumptively said, "It's time to remodel the master bath."

Let's back up a step - it all started with rum (as any great story must). Whilst the hubs was on travel last summer, there I was - unsupervised - with access to rum, a credit card, and the internet. Just as one should not drive while under the influence, neither should one make alcohol induced decisions to order Restoration Hardware mirrors in the "if you buy them, the remodel will become" vein of thought. Yet, armed with Captain and courage, I hit 'purchase' and the great adventure began.

Having slashed into the jungle of a remodel with that brash mirror purchase, my brain lept straight toward a vanity. Given how wonderfully inspired I was by this pic I found on Pinterest from Whimsical Perspective's website,

www.whimsicalperspective.com


I was über excited to find this buffet at a local re-sale store:



Quite the find, eh? Note the hideous hardware, the dated finish, and just look at those trendy marble inserts! Surely you can see the evil genius of my selection. Not so much?

Ah, then check out those gorgeously sculpted lines, the art deco relief detailing and the convenience of being able to pop out the two marble inserts and have it be instantly ready for vessel sink plumbing. Which leads me back to that sneak peak that I posted many moons ago:


I went immediately to work on removing the hardware and stripping the thick and poorly applied varnish in order to get down to the bare wood.

 
 
Extra hardware holes and gaps in the veneer were filled in with a wood filler . Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Aubusson was chosen for the final color and I attached antique brass pulls (found on Etsy) to mirror the round detailing in the drawers and doors.

At the 90% complete stage
Next to add are the vessel sinks and additional drawer hardware. I am also distressing the wood to have it reflect the vintage/industrial vibe that will be the decor style for the room. Want to see more?
 

Coming soon: the final bathroom reveal!

 
Check back soon to see the entire project in its completion. The infamous mirrors that started it all, the demo, helpful tips on keeping a marriage (and various body parts) intact throughout a remodel, and how to do it all for under $7,500! 
 
Now where did I put that blowtorch...
Tori

 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment